Saturday, June 28, 2014

D Day 2

Here it is, the double decoction Dunkel. (was originally meant to be triple but fuuuuuuuck that).

We made a video montage, thanks to my brother Andre for filming it, and thanks to Dan and Jared for helping out. It was meant to be an educational video but I didn't plan enough so it is just a montage, but I still like it and I hope you do too!


Here are the recipes:

For the Sauerkraut I used this recipe found here.

The beer we made was a Munich Dunkel Kellerbier, adapted from a recipe by Michael Dawson from Brewing TV: episode 34. I've said it before, but if you haven't already watched all of the old MD and Jake Keeler Brewing TV episodes then what the hell are you doing reading this GO AND WATCH THEM!

Here is my adapted recipe, pretty similar except I started at protein rest, decocted to saccharification rest then attempted to decoct to mash out...

0---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0

MUNICH DUNKEL KELLERBIER

23L @ 1.046

4kg Munich malt
200g Carahell
212g Melanoidin
130g Cararoma
60g Carafa III

30g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ First Wort Hopping (FWH)

Mash in at Protein rest with 22L @ 55°C.

Decoct 9L of thick mash and then return to main mash, raising temperature to 64°C

Saccharification rest.

Decoct a further 4.5L of thick mash then return to main mash, raising temperature to 70°C.

Batch sparge with 18L @ 77°C.

Boil for 60 minutes.

Ferment at 12°C for 3 weeks, transfer to converted corny keg with priming solution, let carbonate and serve fresh, preferably with bratwurst!

0---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0

Oh also, this is my first lager ever! Although I'm not actually lagering it at all...

More to come, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment